Torpado dates from 1895 when founded by Carlo Torresini in Padua. The name derives from Torresini & Padua…
The brand became especially noteworthy during the 1950s & 60s, the era of Coppi & Bartali. They were sponsors of major international teams and were the second largest cycle maker in Italy. Torpado also made motorcycles from the 1950s until the 1970s.
Torpado was family owned until the early 1980s when Agrati-Garelli first bought 49% and later completely bought out the Torresini family. Shortly thereafter, around 1987, bicycle production was ceased. In the 1970’s & 80’s, the Agrati-Garelli Corp. in South Carolina (along with Batavus) imported these bikes into the USA.
Top-of-the-line models had beautifully crafted frames with routed out dropout faces, internal rear gear cable, shaped and engraved lugs & bottom bracket shell. The signature/team color was called “Celeste.” Not the green “celeste” of Bianchi, but a light turquoise-inclined pearlescent blue, more true to the meaning, “Sky Blue.”
Even the lower priced models had much detail work and, again, were nicer than many famous make “pro” bikes of that period.